Many Office 365 subscribers mistakenly believe that their data is fully backed up by Microsoft as part of their subscription. However, this is not the case: Microsoft does not backup Office 365.
- Microsoft is responsible for providing the necessary infrastructure and ensuring that Office 365 works. But it's the customer's responsibility to protect its Office 365 data from:
- human error (such as deleted items)
- malware and hacker attacks
- malicious user actions
- and so on.
- Microsoft doesn't provide native options to back up Office 365 mailboxes. It provides some very basic archiving, retention and recovery options, but cannot guarantee full and speedy restoration of data loss.
That is why you also need a robust backup and recovery solution to give you peace of mind.
- Microsoft cannot help with unexpected data loss or damage - Having a solid backup solution in place ensures that even if mailbox items disappear from the network or are rendered useless, you have access to a backed-up copy. This eliminates problems or repercussions that could arise from the missing data.
Once mail items are deleted or changed in Office 365, they stay that way. For example:
- A system admin who is rushed or is distracted by an emergency might unintentionally delete an Office 365 mailbox user.
- A user might accidentally or purposely delete an email.
- A virus infection or ransomware attack could impact and damage an organisation's mailboxes.
- Problems with accessing and searching email data - By backing up all a company's mailboxes into one location, this data can be protected and stored centrally. This also provides easy access, searching and recovery. Altaro Office 365 Backup for MSPs comes with a multi-tenant online console that enables central management and monitoring of all customer Office 365 email backups.
- Ability to provide customers with mail backup services - Without a solution like Altaro Office 365 Backup for MSPs, there is no easy way for MSPs to back up emails for customers running Office 365, or to recover and lost or damaged mailboxes or emails. Yet, MSPs must be able to do this if something goes wrong with their customers' Office 365 emails. At the same time, it is time-consuming and untenable for MSPs to monitor and manage all their customers' mail backups individually. This is where Altaro's multi-tenant cloud management console saves the day.
Start your free 30-day trial today