Many Office 365 subscribers mistakenly believe that their data is fully backed up by Microsoft as part of their subscription. However, this is not the case: Microsoft does not backup Office 365. (Read more here.)
- Microsoft is responsible for providing the necessary infrastructure and ensuring that Office 365 works. But it's the customer's responsibility to protect its Office 365 data from:
- human error (such as deleted items)
- malware and hacker attacks
- malicious user actions
- and so on.
- Microsoft doesn't provide native options to back up Office 365. It provides some very basic archiving, retention and recovery options as well as versioning, but cannot guarantee full and speedy restoration of data loss.
That is why you also need a robust backup and recovery solution to give you peace of mind.
- Microsoft cannot help with unexpected data loss or damage - Having a solid backup solution in place ensures that even if content disappears or is rendered useless, the customer can access a backed-up copy, eliminating repercussions that could arise from the missing data. This ensures business continuity.
IT professionals can revert to a previous file version in case of data loss, but can only do so within a limited timeframe. And once items are deleted or changed in Office 365, they stay that way. It is ridiculously easy for:
- A system admin who is rushed or is distracted by an emergency to unintentionally delete an Office 365 mailbox user.
- A user to accidentally or purposely delete an email or file that's stored in OneDrive or SharePoint.
- A virus infection or ransomware attack could impact and damage an organisation's mailboxes and files.
- Problems with accessing and searching data - By backing up all a company's mailboxes and files into one location, this data can be protected and stored centrally. This also provides easy access, searching and recovery. Altaro Office 365 Backup for MSPs comes with a multi-tenant online console that enables central management and monitoring of all customer Office 365 backups.
- Ability to provide customers with mail backup services - Without a solution like Altaro Office 365 Backup for MSPs, there is no easy way for MSPs to back up their customers' Office 365 mailboxes or files stored in OneDrive and SharePoint. Yet, MSPs must be able to do this. At the same time, it is time-consuming and untenable for MSPs to monitor and manage all their customers' Office 365 backups individually. This is where Altaro's multi-tenant cloud management console saves the day.
Start your free 30-day trial today