In Server Core, no Hyper-V Guest console is provided and you need to use the remote server Hyper-V Manager snap-in or VMM Console to manage a Virtual machine. I just found a free tool to execute the Hyper-V Guest Console in Server Core. Let see how you can enable the Hyper-V Guest Console in Server Core itself.
1. Before we start, you need to install the pre-requisite:- .Net Framework.
The command to install the .Net Framework in Server Core is:-
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx2-ServerCore
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3-ServerCore
3. Then, to enable the Hyper-V Guest Console (HVGC), execute this command:
With HVGC a Hyper-V guest can:
– Start VMs
– Shutdown VMs
– Suspend VMs
– Pause VMs
– Stop VMs
– Monitor VMs (CPU Load, Memory, IS Version, Network configuration)
– Connect to VM by RDP
Let’s view the end result screenshot of the HVGC:
4. Now, let’s connect to the Hyper-V Server and add the Hyper-V Host and Virtual machine that you would like to manage. To do so, click on Tools | Settings
5. Click on Hyper-V Servers list (Collection) and add the Hyper-V and VM authentication settings that you would like to manage.
6. Start by entering “Hyper-V Server authentication” and then click on Virtual Machine List (collection) to enter the virtual machine name.
Below is a screenshot of the Hyper-V Server Settings and a screenshot of the Virtual machine Settings Collection.
Hyper-V Settings Collection screenshot:-
Virtual Machine Setting Collection screenshot:-
Here you can control the setting on the Virtual Machine. Specify True or False.
7. Once you have completed the above step, you will be able to view your Virtual Machine and manage it. Below is a screenshot of the final result:-
This tool also runs on Windows XP/Windows Server 2003 and later.
Is Your Office 365 Data Secure?
Did you know Microsoft does not back up Office 365 data? Most people assume their emails, contacts and calendar events are saved somewhere but they're not. Secure your Office 365 data today using Altaro Office 365 Backup - the reliable and cost-effective mailbox backup, recovery and backup storage solution for companies and MSPs
Not a DOJO Member yet?
Join thousands of other IT pros and receive a weekly roundup email with the latest content & updates!